Thursday, January 20, 2011

Mrs. Edwards & Frl. Kussin (boxing) 1912

I was asked to make some drawings for an interior design project (thanks Meg!) and thought I'd share one of the final drawings. I really enjoy researching a topic when I make drawings...if possible. This project dealt with women and sports, so I went to the internet and looked up historic women's sports. This lead me to this famous image of two women boxing. I learned a little about these two particular women and their boxing match on March 7, 1912. I also learned a bit about women's boxing and the fact that it's taken over 200 years for it to be taken seriously. I'm not sure if I'm correct, but the London Olympics of 2012 might finally include it as a sport rather than an exhibition. Please make comments if I'm completely wrong about any of those facts...I can take a hit! :)

No comments: