Monday, November 17, 2008

Hidden Mother


My sister and I became Hidden Mother fanatics (well, mostly her) after a professor of mine introduced me to them. A simple trip to the antique shop in Platte City, MO revealed that there of plenty of antique Hidden Mothers out there, waiting to be purchased. And to add to the intrigue of these images, it is not a dead phenomena! When moms and dads take their newborns to get a portrait, photographers still use the trick of hiding mom behind a drape, etc.

HIDDEN MOTHERS ARE A COMMON PHENOMENA YOU WILL FIND IN VINTAGE AND PRESENT DAY PHOTOS. LOOK FOR A SMALL CHILD THAT CANNOT KEEP STILL OR IS TOO YOUNG TO HOLD ITS OWN HEAD UP. MOTHERS ARE DISGUISED BUT NOT ACTUALLY HIDDEN FROM THE CAMERA.

And so, in honor of this awesome phenomena, I created a drawing from a tin type I purchased and have just listed it on Etsy.

No comments: